Saturday, August 09, 2014

Fiber Art part 4



A week from today I have to deliver my Fiber Art piece to the gallery in Belmar.  The print is done, but now I have to figure out how to display it.  I have a bunch of 17" frame pieces, a good size for the project.  Due to the nature of the piece and focus of the show, I don't want to put it behind glass, so I'm just planning to mount it on a board that will be held in place inside the frame, which will be wired to hang in the show.

I brought the print to the critique a few days ago, transporting it in a mat board folder, and clipping to the folder so I could lean it against the wall to be seen.  The piece of kinwashi that I used for the backing piece is translucent, like a thick piece of tissue paper, but with embedded fibers.  With something white behind it a viewer might just see a little texture, but with something colored behind it, the little fibers stand out against the background (the mat board folder was blue).  In the critique, it was suggested that I mount it on a piece of colored fabric, which would have this effect while continuing the theme of the fiber show.  I will look into that next week, but for today I wanted to prepare some kind of backing board.

In the Studio I had a few 4 foot square pieces of quarter inch lauan, which had been behind cabinet.  The dampness of the basement had caused them to warp a bit, making them unsuitable cutting into large blocks, but smaller pieces can and will be used for various purposes.  The sheets of plywood were pulled out of their storage space during the flood clean up earlier this year, but not damaged.  It's about time I put them away, but before doing so, I clamped one to my work table, and measured out a 17" square, then cut it with my saber saw.  And then I cut a second one.  Don't know that I'll need both, but it was simple to do it while I was set up.  I stashed the big plywood back where it had been, and left my cut pieces on my table for now.  I'll come up with an official plan early next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home