Friday, August 14, 2015

A Little House Painting



Over the past week I have used some days off from work to do a little art like activity.  Been painting a house.  A light house.  More specifically, a three foot tall concrete light house.  A typical cast concrete yard decoration, like you'd find at any plant or outdoor store.  There's a front corner of my parents' front yard where nothing grows for very long, the ground choked with tree roots.  After losing some small shrubs to that spot, it was decided to put something there that doesn't grow.  A plain concrete sculpture was purchased earlier in the summer and moved to the back yard and had been there ever since.  I agreed to take care of it if the paint was purchased, so my father looked into the possibilities.  He was able to get some pint cans of black and white enamels, but no small cans of color.  He did end up with an assortment of the little Testor's bottles, which I know best from my days of painting plastic models.

Last week I did the big sections of black and white, making use of the cast shapes and markings, plus their selected color scheme.  I was asked to use red for the front entrance piece, but my father wanted brown for the roof over the door and he wasn't sure how I could do that without brown paint.  I did have the three primaries, and that's all that's needed.  It's something I teach almost every semester, and I'm scheduled to again this fall.  For the base around it, I started with a basic black plus white gray, then used the model paints to make warm and cool versions and arranged them.


The plan is get a small solar charged outdoor light to put in the top.  Once we get that done, it will move back up to the front yard and its place of honor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home