Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Day of Excess



In a 365 day year, there are only a few days where excessive eating is not only permitted, but actually encouraged.  First is Thanksgiving.  Foreign born students I went to grad school with were often mystified by the holiday.  One Scottish student I knew was very concerned about the possibility of being offered pumpkin pie ("isn't that some kind of squash?"), but he survived.  The other day is Mardi Gras, but that's not just an American thing.  The name means literally Fat Tuesday, so not eating too much seems like a crime.  There are a lot of traditions in a lot of different places, but I tend to go New Orleans style, as spicy food is always welcome at Studio Arrabbiata.  So this morning I walked to the supermarket across the street and bought what I needed to make a batch of jambalaya, which made a tasty, if slightly late lunch.  Plenty left over, but that will have to wait a few days- as Mardi Gras is a prelude to Ash Wednesday and the self deprivations of Lent.  It will be good when I get to have it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home