Tuesday, December 11, 2018

St Dwynwen part 7




Back to artwork today.  Brought the current block and my tools to the Studio, and had the place to myself today.  I had debated with myself over the past few days if I wanted to add Japanese writing to the gouges.  The ones I use come with words printed on them, though what was printed has mostly worn off in the 20 years I have been using them.  The tools that I drew for the purposes of this block are not exactly what really exists- I used the appearance of the blades, ferrules, and wooden handles, but I added the larger ends of tools that are used with mallets- filled the space nicer.  All tools come with something printed on them in kanji, characters absorbed from ancient written Chinese, with many strokes that generally take much of a lifetime to learn (there are 4000 or so for basic literacy).  In my limited study of Japanese language I learned to recognize the two relatively small phonetic alphabets (mostly used to spell words derived from other languages), but that was almost 30 years ago.  In any case, I can't read what is printed on the tools.  I tried comparing the writing on two different models of tools that had the same size and shape blade, but these weren't the same either, so I'm guessing the written words are something else, maybe relating to the handles.  Seems best to just leave that stuff out completely.
With that settled, I just continued cutting out the block drawing I already had.  Cut out the three gouges at each end, then the wheel in the center, then all the negative space within the main rectangle.  At some point I will need to go through and clean up some details, but not today.  My last main task is to cut out the border around the whole thing, which I don't want to be solid black, so it will have to be hollowed out.  Have to deal with some school stuff tomorrow, then I can finish this and move on to my Christmas card.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home