Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Return of St Georgia


Last week I was at the Boatworks, photographing the latest art show for the BAC blog, when I got cornered by the organizer of their upcoming bird theme show.  They had one a few years ago, which I entered, but was not accepted into. Also rejected for the BAC big juried show about the same time, which is why I stopped entering juried shows there.  I always tell my students that juried shows are unpredictable, and there have been times when I've had a piece rejected by a juror and given first prize by another,  but after 3 consecutive rejections, I had to wonder. For the last bird show I had a new bird piece, and it had been rejected.


I was prepared to let this latest bird show go as well, but that organizer begged me to try again, pointing out that since the piece wasn't in the last one, it was eligible for this show.  And the deadline had been extended to the end of this week.  I'm still in the midst of getting my spring semester grading done, but I decided to give it a shot. One issue is that I prefer to pay fees in person (don't trust the computer system there) and that the place is closed tomorrow and the weekend.  With the Belmar Seafood Festival coming in this weekend, that's a logical precaution, but it meant I had to take care of everything by early this afternoon.

It's all online digital applications now, having skipped over slides, from the old method of dropping off work to be judged in person.  And I had the image I used last time (that's it above), but the rules for this one specified that files had to be within a very specific range of sizes.  Nothing to do with the work itself or what can be sent or viewed digitally, but regulations that seemed chosen just to be annoying.  So I mounted the piece onto a piece of foam core and took it outside to photograph, since natural light is always best.  Then back inside to download, edit, and see what I had.  None were the right size, so I had to do all those steps over again.  Second time around I seemed to have a suitable one, so I went ahead an filled out the whole application, sent it in, then drove to Belmar to pay the entry fee and at the same time make sure everything was in and right.  While there I confirmed that it had been received and saw that my newly taken photo worked well on their monitor.  The work will have to be delivered in early June, so I guess I'll hear the results soon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home