Thursday, August 08, 2019

More Studio Business


This summer it seems like I always have a lot of business to take care of up in Ocean Grove, and so I was back again today.  Normally Nichole is off on Thursdays, but she said she'd be there in the morning today, which was good because we had things to take care of. Got up there around 11:30 and saw her car in the lot, so I knew I was in luck.

My sudden student for woodcut last night had given me cash to pay for the class, so I wanted to get that into Nichole's hands as soon as possible.  Gave her the cash, she created a receipt, which I can give to the student next time I see her.  Gave her an update on how the class went.  We also talked about a variety of events that are coming up and that I may be playing a part in.  There may be a one night drawing group in September, maybe two of them, so she lined me up to cover those.  Will involve pay, which is always good.  A while back she reserved a day in October to have me do a linocut demonstration for some teachers, also a paid day. Today we discussed materials; I had researched some sources and costs, and this would eventually be billed to the organizers.  We also talked about some other art events she is considering.  We are hoping to get a variety of building artists involved in some of them, but for the moment I am the one who is around the most, so I am taking advantage of these money making opportunities.

Had other business as well.  Now that I know that the woodcut class will be happening in August, I know that next week is when we start teaching cutting and tools.  Which means I have to check my inventory and make sure they are in good shape.  I provide cutting tools to my woodcut students to use during class meetings- gradually purchased over the years that I have been teaching local workshops with some of the materials budget.  If a student breaks one (happens once in a while), I replace them.  At this point I have 21 class woodcut tools- the catalog calls them standard quality tools, and they aren't up to the level of the hand forged superior ones I buy and use for myself, but they are still better than most of what is out there on the market. Rather than buy sets, I have acquired individual tools, the sizes and shapes that I find most useful, so a mix of round and V gouges in what I consider the most useful sizes, plus a few flat chisels.  Last time I did this inventory was for the July woodcut class, and I have the same number of tools, so I guess none got broken.  If the photo below showing the set looks familiar, it's because I used it a month ago for this same purpose.



As part of the counting process, I also checked the sharpness of each.  All but one were in excellent shape, with only the 1.5 mm round gouge needing work.  Not surprising as my one 4 week student last month used that tool far more than any other.  But no permanent damage, as just a few minutes with the stone had it as sharp as ever. Looks like I'll be in good shape for my August students next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home