Monday, August 26, 2019

Supermarket Fireworks part 6


Got up to Ocean Grove a bit past noon. The parking lot was a lot more full than it usually is at that time, but I found one spot and grabbed it.  Inside the front door I saw the door to the basement propped open and a sign for the latest Victorian Craft series class.  Maybe it had to do with that?  From the top of the stairs I could see lights on in the immediate hallway.  Looked down the hallway and saw no lights on there, and the door was closed. Peeked into the cafeteria and saw that a class was going on, but I didn't want to disturb them, so I went to my space instead. Tested the light switch and the light was still not working.  Enough daylight around that I could find the lock and unlock the door.

Don't know if Molly is back yet from the northwest, but she wasn't there today so I could listen to music as I worked.  Brought one from home today- a home burned disc with two albums recorded from vinyl, both from the 1980's and learned about from listening to Montclair State radio, purchased used.  Repercussion from the dB's, and The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn from the Ben Vaughn Combo.  When the first compact disc recorder came out I was intrigued, but they were very expensive. Eventually the price was cut in half and I got one and began using it frequently.  Mostly making disc versions of things I had only on cassettes, like concerts from the radio, music not officially released for public sale, or from old vinyl, things that would never be released on disc. Also copies of commercial discs, to have copies in the Studio.  Back in my undergrad years I had a friend (chem major) who insisted that compact discs had no long term future- the plastic used to make them would begin to disintegrate within 10 years.  Of course the discs I bought back then are still working today.  Discs I burned at home in the 90's and early 21st century (such as what I listened to today) are still doing fine.  No, the problem is the industries- The younger generation prefers to download anything they need and doesn't like anything that can't be experienced with their smart phones, so music stores and book stores are pretty much extinct now.  Blank discs are no longer sold in stores, and compact disc players and recorders are no longer standard equipment in cars or on computers.  So I am back where I started, hoping that the equipment that allows me to listen to my collected recorded music will continue to be available. But I digress...

Anyway, enjoying some old music, and the fall-like weather we have had for the past several days, got some work done today.  One thing that I knew I needed for my new supermarket print was images of seasonal goods for sale, so when I went out over the past few days I always had some scrap paper in my pocket to take notes, including sketches of large numbers of folding chairs.   Had some of those sketches with me today when I got to the Studio.


So today I started roughing in some of these seasonal items that are being sold by the fireworks- large plastic coolers on the top shelf, racks of folded chairs on the middle shelf, and stacked pails and shovels on the bottom shelf.  A long way to go, but gradually getting there.

Meanwhile, one of the new building employees was finally working on my light problem.  Tried a new bulb, but still not working.   Was this a circuit problem?  We hadn't thought so, as every other light and outlet in that part of the basement was functioning, so power seemed adequate.  So he got a second bulb, tried that, and we had light again.  Glad that problem was resolved.  So was he, as he anticipated a long day of checking circuit breakers to try to figure out what was broken.

On my way out I stopped at the office and spoke to Nichole.  She gave me the check for the August classes, and confirmed that classes this week will be held in the cafeteria, but if the weather holds, that should be fine.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home