Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Supermarket Fireworks part 5


Class wasn't until 6 pm, but I decided to go up to Ocean Grove earlier.  There's always business to take care of, plus art to be made. Molly was already there (atypical for her to be there in an afternoon), so we were both working for a while.  She was doing silkscreens, while I was working on a woodcut.

The current project is my latest supermarket piece, about a fireworks display in my local supermarket.   This alone would have been very unusual, as explosive novelties were illegal in the state until recently, but it looks like our outgoing governor did a deal to make some legal.  So I added some what if things to make it more like one of my prints.  Here's the latest:


I completed the two figures, roughing in some legs, then adjusted the display cases adjacent to them to bring them all into scale.  Still a long way to go.

Molly departed shortly before 4:00, and about 10 minutes later I decided to walk across the street and grab a slice of pizza, my dinner break.  Unfortunately, that's when an expected rain storm showed up. Waited a few minutes, then grabbed my umbrella and headed for the door.  The problem was that every time the weather seemed about to lighten up and I ventured out, another wave of heavy rain and wind would come in.  Eventually the rain stopped and the sun came out, and I took off.   Had to wade across parts of route 35 (that area never drains properly), but got my food and got home safely.  Molly insists she has to listen to NPR talk stations while there, even if the topics have nothing to do with either of us (could be worse- when we had our third partner Jackie, she listened to static at a very loud volume, so the whole basement could hear it.  When questioned why she didn't switch to a station with anything else, Jackie insisted she had to listen to that station that didn't come in because it was her favorite radio station.)  But now Molly was gone, hoping to bike home before the rain arrived.  So when I returned with my pizza, put on a homemade disc with two albums from Morphine, a band that emerged from the end of bluesy rock band Treat Her Right.  Morphine's sound was more jazzy, built on saxophones and bass guitars, and they had some success until the death of lead singer and principal song writer Mark Sandman.  (part of my disc was the band's posthumous release of their last album) Turns out, good music to eat pizza by.

Played around with a few more details on my block, but then photographed it and cleaned up, so I could get ready for my woodcut class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home