Thursday, June 30, 2022

Making a Living part 19

 All the coloring is done, but I had one last reason to go up to the Studio today- to collect the payment for the print.  I had turned it over to the purchaser on Monday, and let her take it to her car quickly before the expected rain arrived, but the promised money wasn't there yet.  However, I was told it would be available on Thursday, so I said I'd be there.  I always have work to do, so not a problem.   I got up there today around 2:30, not expecting my contact for a while, but prepared to do some drawing. 

I do have another project going right now, my Robert Johnson illustrations for Tom, promised for early next year.  I actually started drawing one at the open studio event, which I believe was back at the end of April.  Now it's time to get going on those, since I want to send Tom some photos of prints in progress by the fall, so he can decide what he wants and if I need to make any adjustments to the image he likes.  The purchaser was very impressed with the results, amazed at how close I came to the original.  I told her the truth, that having something to copy from and the materials to do it, is much easier than having to make it up again. What I'm doing now is completely made up, with only Johnson's lyrics to provide any guidance. The advantage is that these pieces are to be black and white, which gives some restrictions, but also eliminates a lot of questions I'd have to deal with.

Brought a disc from the Studio collection at home, the Manic Street Preachers Generation Terrorists -the UK version (double vinyl LP), as opposed to the single CD version that was distributed in America.  This came courtesy of my friend Doug in Tennessee, where I stopped on my 2400 mile spring journey back in 1994 (he was teaching in Kentucky then), with him being the biggest fan of the band in the United States.  This version includes a few songs not available in the abridged American version, and a few between song bits not available anywhere anymore.  My previous writings about the album can be found on this blog back in June, 2019, but there may be more here now.

My art project today was my block for Walkin' Blues, an interior scene with seven figures, 6 of them noticing a 7th one walking in, and some of the women not liking it. Nothing mentioned in the song itself, but it seemed the idea he was talking about.  Even the internet can't agree what the song is about, so this is my interpretation, but that should be as good as anybody's.  In my time there, I worked on all seven figures making improvements I hope, but this may take a while.  My goal is to finish 3 of the prints by the fall, giving him options, well ahead of the deadline he gave me.  

About 10 to 4, I headed to the office, finding the door wide open.  Bobby was in there, but no one else.  I asked if he knew anything about a check being left for me and he didn't.  But just then Jeanne arrived, and she gave me the check, and all was well.  She was heading up to the 1st floor to prepare for tonight's class, but I was able to first tell her I had checked my availability, and I had a lot of days available for classes, so we'll talk more next week.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home