Tuesday, December 27, 2022

32-20 Blues part 10

 The other block that I printed today was my take on Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues.   Only one character this time, the woman that Johnson seems to be addressing throughout the song.  Most of the lyrics are about committing various violence toward her, but I chose one in which Johnson claims the problem is that she spent the night with another man.  In my version the woman wakes in a small bed, alcohol is nearby, and she looks a bit confused and disheveled.  Race is purposely left vague, which is fine as this person could be anybody- race is not relevant.  

Probably the most changes made to any of my blocks.  I lightened the floor, to help visually separate it from the dresser that rests on it, and I widened a lot of the lines of white in the blanket, to add some light to the piece overall.  I made the back wall a little lighter, to make it a little different from the shade.  I reduced some of the shading on her face, again to make her seem a little different from all the other gray tones throughout the piece.  Results can be seen below:


The new proof looks largely the same, as it should.  It's a better print, the blacks a little more solid.  But not much different.  As it should be.  It tells the story as I understand it, and I don't think my changes make any difference there.  I think this piece is done, so I'll set it aside for now and move on to the next one.  Text will wait for another time to make that decision.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home