Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Achluophobia part 2

 

Been a very busy week for medical appointments, but I had a few hours to kill today and took a ride up to the Studio.  I had planned to talk to Elyse regarding some emails she sent out this week, but she wasn't in. It can wait until next week. 

The open studio event is about a month away, so I do need to finish drawing the new block if I plan to cut it as part of my studio demonstration, which is the plan as of now.  I saw that Molly had been in over the past week, so that's a good sign. But I was there for me.  An appearance by someone on a morning show had put me in the mood for a jazz singer, so I started with something from my jazz/blues set of discs, New Moon Daughter from Cassandra Wilson.  A mix of unusual covers and originals, and a very mellow bit of music to listen to while working.  Previously written about back on January of 2022 if you want to know more. When that ended, I went with more jazz, mostly instrumental, the sound track from Fire Walk With Me, David Lynch's follow-up to his Twin Peaks television series.  Wrote about that back in August of 2022.

While I was there I was working on the new block. What I decided to do today was work on the brick wall that faces the viewer.  A lot of information that most will probably not notice, but it's important to me that it be fairly accurate.  Mostly I was working from my sketches, but when I needed to I took a step into the hallway to check on how things were constructed.  Over my years of studying art history, I have learned a thing or two about architecture, which gives me some understanding about how this basement was built.  (Not quite like the crypt level of a Gothic cathedral. but not too far off either.)  I have also seen a few videos of old building being restored and have learned a little bit about basic engineering as part of that.  Below is what the block drawing looks like now:


This was probably the most complex area of the drawing to complete. so it's good that I have gotten it out of the way for now.  These bricks are just penciled in, but this is probably how they will end up.  I didn't touch the furnace yet, or the second figure in the shadows around the corner, nor have I finished the figure inside the door, but I have time to get all this done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home