Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Love In Vain part 12

 I was not satisfied with my last proofing of the full block, including the cut text, of my Love In Vain block.  The repairs I made were probably good enough for a photograph to send out for the Nashville show, but inspection of the proof showed that it wasn't good enough to be exhibited, so I decided to take another crack at it today.  The block and paper were there in my Studio, and everything else was in my car.  Warm enough (today is the first full day of spring), that I didn't have to worry about fluids freezing, and they wouldn't take long to warm up. 

Left my backpack by the driveway until I was back from filling my gas tank, and forgot to bring discs with me completely, so I had to rely on what was there.  Luckily there are always some there for emergencies like this.  Stopped by the office to give them the update about the lease and provide more information about stairs and dormers and the third floor, then on to my space and getting dirty.  

What I did first, after getting out the block in question, was do some more carving.  I knew I had picked up a little ink here and there in the last proof, including some around the cut lettering, and the best way to not get that again is to eliminate the wood that picked it up last time. Using the block and the last proof (still there in the Studio), I took care of that.  Tore a sheet of Rives Lightweight to the right size, then got out some ink. I was a little more careful with the inking and printing this time, and the result was a better proof. Not perfect, but better for photographing, and probably suitable for showing.  I will let it dry first before I try to fix anything, but I think I'm done with this one for now.  Didn't take an official photo of it yet, but this shot of my table should give you an idea of where I am at.


By the way, the music for today started with one of the discs I left behind, for Molly and for emergencies- The Righteous Ones by Toshi Reagon, which I have written about back in August 2021 if you are interested.  When that ended I played one of Molly's recent pile, Doolittle from the Pixies.  Actually it is one of the discs I used to keep there as well, and it is that disc that I wrote about back in October 2019.  Those two albums were enough for the time this took, a relative quick process since I had just printed this one a week or so ago, and this one is maybe the fifth proof I have taken of this block.

Probably at my next visit, I start a new block drawing.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home