Thursday, February 23, 2023

Print Busines





 Went to the Studio today to take care of some business, sort of.  Back in December I sent Tom, organizer of this Robert Johnson project, images of the 3 prints I had done.  I sent the three images of the final versions in one email, and the longer version of one in a second email.  Wasn't my plan, just an accident I sent the 3 without the long one. He sent a reply to the second email, just saying he liked what I sent and the project was definitely on, and he will want a 300 DPI photo when the time comes. Haven't heard anything since.  

I am not really sure at this point what he wants and likes.  The email he replied to has an image of the wrong size, while the correctly sized print in the first email.  Bigger concern for me is that he asked for a 600 DPI photo in our initial phone conversation, and then a 300 DPI image in the email.  Problem is that DPI is not a measurement for digital photos, but for printed images on a computer.  DPI stands for dots per inch, and relate to everything from dot matrix printers to laser printers, but has nothing to do with cameras.  Digital photos can sometimes be measured in PPI, which stands for pixels per inch, but my camera (a name brand) has no settings for PPI, just sizes of prints.  The instruction book has nothing for either measurement either.  

Then I got another email today for an art show (sent to my website mail) that wants digital images of either a minimum file size or a minimum DPI, that measurement that doesn't actually exist for digital images.  I am not going to enter that show (for one thing I am not of the ethnicity required for it), but maybe that pair of minimums will help me.  

So what I did today was go up to my Studio, where the best proofs of those prints are, and set my digital camera to its largest size setting.  I tacked each of the Johnson woodcuts to the tack board on the wall, and took new large photos of each print.  (in a way, this is what I did with my old camera for the jigsaw puzzle images, one of which can be seen at the top of this post- same brand of camera, same largest size I assume, and of course, no DPI nonsense)  Using my wall mounted board, a little closer to eye level, so a little easier to make sure of a properly rectangular photo.  Brought that camera home, downloaded those new photos, edited them, and sent them to myself.  It's the only way I have these days to see the file size, attaching them to emails.  The good news is that these photos from today are much larger in file size than the last images I shot of these proofs, and larger than that minimum file size asked for in that exhibition email, so I guess they are big enough.

Of course I have also offered to ship the print(s) to Tom or the studio making relief plates from the actual prints, and let them scan them any way they want, but until I know what image(s) are wanted, I'm not sending anything.  Meanwhile, I have done another required step for this process, so I am ready for whatever happens.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home