Monday, March 18, 2024

Studio Business

 I knew we had scheduled an artist meeting for next month's Open Studio event, so I decided it was worth checking emails today to make sure it was still on.  Around lunch time I did another check and found I had some, three of them actually.  One was a reminder of today's meeting, one was letting us know that roofers were expected to be there on March 26th, and on that day not to park by the building, as the people working on the roof might need that space to move stuff up there.  That works fine for me, since my guests are expected to be there on the 25th, and on the 26th I won't be there.  The third mail was about the incoming show (photography) this week, and that we would have to take our work off the wall.  I was going there today anyway, so I figured I would try it myself, and if I couldn't get it down, ask for help then.

Got up to the building in time.  At first I had a hard time finding the meeting, as it wasn't in the usual part of the 1st floor lobby where we've had these things in the past.  But the lights were all on and eventually I found them, behind the stairway to the 2nd floor.  No problem really, and there were chairs already out.  Not enough, so more were procured.  I only knew two of those in attendance- Joe (the organizer) and Jeanne (the current director).  Another guy I have seen before, but I don't know his name, and the other participants I didn't know at all.  

All the chairs were put away quickly, so by the time I got my camera out, they were all gone.  As a result, the above photo just shows the space we were in.

I already knew that it was planned for April 21st, though there is still some question of time, mostly because no one seemed to know when it would be.  I was told cards would be produced for it, so I guess we get those some time before it happens.  It was also decided that no refreshments would be provided by the building, though we were encouraged to have some in our studios to lure people in.  (we'll see)  And instead of a DJ, they will probably just have a sound system.  I was told better signs would be put up, so maybe I'll get more visitors than I did last time.  I'll post more information here as soon as I know it, but I may not until I get the postcards.

From there, I went right over the wall that held my works, and easily took one down from the wall.  I could reach them and no help would be needed- a good thing.  I took the one down to my Studio and placed in on top of my table.  (Since I am expecting guests in a week, I decided to keep them there, to make it easier to show these recent works.)  Also left the other stuff I was carrying there.  Back upstairs to get the other two pieces, but this time one of the plastic wires from the hanging system came with the framed work and ended up on the floor.  So I carried that down with me with the last two works.  Dropped it off at the office while I was in the basement, not my problem to deal with.  The empty wall can be seen below:

From there I took the elevator to the third floor, to see if I could find any light switches, as my guests (still don't know who is coming, other than my college friend Jenny) may expect a building tour.  Still could't find a switch for the main hallway on the 3rd, but on a sunny day there should be enough light coming in the windows to make some things visible.  Then to the 2nd floor (all lit up) to check out the glass case that has been brought up in email and at today's meeting.  The idea is that we are offered a chance to show works in that case.  It's not very big, and I could maybe fit 3 or 4 pieces at most in there.  I won't be in a hurry to have work in there.  Then on to the 1st floor, and home.

Meanwhile, I have works that can fit those 3 frames I took down today, so if there is a plan to have another tenants show following the next one, I'll have things to show and a means to show them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home