Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Terraplane Blues part 6

 Another sunny day today, but I knew that I might have to drive my father to an appointment, so I had to be home by noon.  No problem, just left a little earlier than usual to get to the Studio.  I got up there around 10:00 am.  There were cars in the lot, and I saw Andrew taking things out of his car to bring in, so I knew the building was open.  I had all the appropriate keys and ID, and I had brought one of my home burned Pixies discs, the one featuring the earliest CD I had, which was something not made for the American market.  Though a Boston based band, when they were signed to record deal, it was with a British label, so the first discs were all imported.  This one contains the first two releases actually, the first true album (Surfer Rosa), and a mini album (Come on Pilgrim) that had come from a demo tape they did earlier.  Now they also have an American label and the two releases appear on two discs, but back then when I bought it, it was just the one.   Partly I selected this music because I knew the combination of releases would about equal the time I had to spend their today.  

No Open Studio today, and no printing today, just cutting.  Also with me was my good tools, so I got that roll out, along with my current block.  Today I was continuing my cutting of background areas, starting with the back driveway.  I had decided in the drawing phase that this was a cement driveway, so all white. This meant cutting more around the female figure, whatever could be seen through the closed metal gate, whatever could be seen through the chain link fence, and then the gate and fence posts themselves.  For the closer driveway, the one that contains the car, I had decided on a darker driveway, but whether it is asphalt or gravel, I leave up to the viewers.  Either way, it is dark and textured, which will be more apparent once the block is inked.  (I have done similar textures for other blocks, so I know what will result)  The chain link fence isn't perfect, but I am counting on the tendency of the human eye and brain to see a pattern as a single shape, and if that doesn't work, the kind of people that live in a house with a boarded up window probably have a less than perfect chain link fence.  The music ended, and it was near time for me to leave, so I put everything away and took a few reference photos of todays work.  Results can be seen below:

I checked the office for Jeanne when I first arrived, and just before leaving, but she wasn't in, so I guess the exhibiting of my work upstairs will have to wait until the next time I am there.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home