An Old Show
I was reading the paper this morning and saw something very familiar. There on the front page of the Asbury Park Press was a story about the Ocean County Artists Guild. The non-profit organization occupies an old Victorian mansion in Island Heights, and I know the place well, as I have been there a few times before. In 2009 I had a show there, with one of my contributions being selected for the exhibition postcard. But even before that, I had done a demo/workshop there, back in 2008. It's probably what led to the show, which was an invitational. I have done a lot of these demo/workshop things over the years in a bunch of different places. Generally it's some slides of my work, a bunch of actual prints, and a demonstration of cutting and printing. I guess I qualify as a regional artist, or perhaps I just have a reputation for doing these kind of things and doing them well.
The article was about the place in general, but also the problems they have in maintaining it. The large Victorian mansion was a gift, but it takes about $150,000 annually to keep it up, when you include property taxes and building maintenance. Most of the work in running it is volunteer, including cutting the grass, though they do have to pay for some professional services occasionally. They do have a large membership, and that with money raised from exhibitions and classes, pays the bills.
I am not a member, and have no plans to join. If I want to join a non-profit arts group, there are many that are closer to home, and located in my home county. And having exhibited there before, I don't need to go back there and do it again. However, I do encourage them to continue to exist. I think the world needs non-profit arts groups, which generally provide a chance to exhibit work for those who might not otherwise have the opportunity to do so, and occasionally bring in a genuine working artist to show what is possible. I have certainly taken advantage of such things myself.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home