Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Boardwalk Rides part 7

 As expected, over the weekend I looked at my source photos on the computer and did a little sketching on my block.  I borrowed elements from two different photos, but did manage to fill that one undrawn area in the left panel, between the Ferris wheel and the carousel.  In the foreground I put in a rotating ride (appears to be giant fish) and the top of another rotating ride, and behind that part of a roller coaster and the fence that protects and supports it, plus some bits of distant buildings.  The results can be seen below:

With that out of the way, I have now finished the basic drawing of the whole boardwalk block.  No doubt I will have to go back and refine some things, but the layout is done, so it's time to move on to the next phase, and that is starting to put in the people.  Boardwalk ride areas always have a lot of people- kids riding the ride, and adults trying to keep them under some kind of control.  For today that meant roughing in some figures over the already drawn rides and games, and then a mix of erasing old elements and drawing new elements in those spaces.  But that's why I start in pencil for most prints.

The first thing I did on the block today was add the two figures playing the fishing game.  This was a boy playing the game, boosted up so he could reach it, and his mother(?) holding him up.  Drew the child first, then the adult.  So far so good.  I left the one visible foot of the woman alone for now.  Maybe it will be a sneaker, or maybe a heel.  I will check some reference photos and see what is more common on the boardwalk.  Results of this change can be seen below:

I also added some figures riding horses on the carousel- one in the foreground, one with his back to us, and one across the carousel in the distance.  These were all based on gesture sketches I did from that episode of Homicide a few weeks back.  For now it's three boys, like on the show, though I changed the winter clothes to summer clothes for my purposes.  Colors of clothing and hairstyles will help differentiate the riders, as colors will be used to differentiate the horses.  I do plan to add a mother with a camera to this ride, but I haven't decided yet which panel she will be in.   That will wait for another day.  Results of these changes can be seen here:

After documenting today's changes, I put the block away.  I had other business to deal with.  First was checking my supply of paper.  I may do an order of art supplies soon, and it would be nice to know what I have and what I need.  Right now paper is divided over three separate shipment boxes, and I wanted to know what I actually have.  Turns out I have an ample supply of Rives Lightweight (good because I use that a lot), five sheets of the Okawara that I use for boardwalk prints (enough to last me for the immediate future, but I may get a few more) and nothing useable of the Rives Heavyweight (definitely get some of that).  Task #2 was to see which of Mary Lane's blocks I still had.  Sent her an email to the last address I had for her several weeks ago and got no response.  The email wasn't sent back as undeliverable, so the box may still be active, but no response.  I may try calling next.  Meanwhile, I have two of her blocks (and now noted which ones they are) in my Studio, left from when I printed them more than two years ago.  My last task was to look for small works.  I got an email from Steve Borzotta over the weekend, asking me if I want to put anything in the tiny gallery on the second floor.  The problem is that the little box only holds small works, and I have done nothing that small in a long time.  I might be able to edit down pieces of larger prints eventually, but I don't have anything now.

For music today I took one from my rock/pop book, my home burned copy of Tom Waits's Beautiful Maladies, which is a compilation of greatest hits from his Island Records years, and is the music he is best know for.  I wrote about this album back in February of 2020, but haven't listened to it in the Studio for while, so it was a good one to bring today.  When it ended, I was about ready to go.

On my way out of the building, I ran into Steve, so I was able to tell him in person that I don't currently have anything that will fit in the mini-gallery right now.  Saved me the trouble of emailing him later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home