Tuesday, March 20, 2007

An Ancient Technique That's Not Woodcut

After a few days of looking at the colored St Eustace print I have decided that I like it and it's finished. And since this is my last night off before the weekend, it seemed an ideal time to shoot slides of some of the recent work. Slides, like most film based photography, seems to be on the way out in a hurry. Just the other day I asked Tom Huck if he had any spare slides of his recent work to show my students and he was shocked that I'm still using the things. For me it's partly a necessity- the studio classrooms I teach in are not equipped with digital projectors and hookups, so I spend time pulling slides before classes and lug a projector to almost every class.

It's not that I'm avoiding digital imaging. This blog is proof of that. The last few juried shows I entered that required mail-in submissions only accepted digital entries, no slides. Mixed results there. I appreciate the instant availability, being able to edit, and the much lower cost of distribution. But I get nervous sending out discs, because I can't physically see the images to make sure they're ok. Just have to hope it works in the next computer.

For tonight I'm going old school. Shot a few student pieces, and the rest was various recent prints, all done at the Studio over the past year, including the new St Eustace. I believe it went well, but I won't know for sure until they are developed, a week or so from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home