Sunday, March 11, 2007

St Eustace Part 4

I went back up to the Studio in the afternoon to continue cutting the St Eustace block. Usually on a Sunday I'm the only one in the building, but today there was some activity, mostly related to the next theater production. But other than the occasional visitor to the prop/wardrobe closet across the hall, I had the basement pretty much to myself. Cranked up the tunes, got out the tools, and went to work. Didn't take long to finish the block. I was tempted to print it right then, but it does take a while to get set up and cleaned up, and I still had to do my weekly grocery shopping and get home in time for Selection Sunday (how 'bout that #4 seed for my Salukis), so I settled for just getting the paper ready for next time. I did take a pencil rubbing on newsprint, as seen above. It's still a reversed image, and not quite as detailed as a print would be, but it does give a sense of how the composition is working, and if I missed any spots with my knives. In this case I did make a few minor corrections to the block after seeing the rubbing, so it was time well spent.

So far I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing, but proof will come when it's printed. And there are decisions yet to come. At this point I'm not sure what time of day will be shown in the print. Probably afternoon, but night is still a possibility. The coloring would be very different between those two options. Sometimes if I can't decide, I'll try it both ways, then choose which one will be the standard for the edition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home