Friday, February 23, 2007

PCNJ Business

My involvement at the Printmaking Council is keeping me busy this week. I've been on the Exhibition Committee there for quite a while- I was invited to join when I proposed an exhibition for the gallery (the Reading Blake group folio that I organized with Tom Huck, which was one of the earliest group involvements of some of the Outlaw Printmakers and did get shown there in 1999) and they figured anyone motivated enough to actually submit a proposal should be on the committee. On this committee we come up with ideas for exhibitions, evaluate proposals, schedule shows, install work, prepare for receptions, and other related tasks. Besides getting to help influence the direction of the gallery, the experience has probably helped me in learning how to prepare for my own exhibitions. When I first started we had a lot of regular meetings at the gallery, but these days we do more of our business by e-mail. This has been one of those busy e-mail weeks, addressing multiple needs- finding artists for a curated show coming up in May, suggesting themes for a juried show in the fall, and providing an opinion about another curated show for a grant application. I provided some input on the latter two, and have been devoting time to contacting artists I know about the first item.

Another Print Council item this week- a letter from our new director. Haven't met her yet, but I will sooner or later. The letter mentions an upcoming fundraiser in the form of an auction to benefit our Roving Press community programs, and a request for a donation of a piece of artwork for the auction. I don't know if this letter went to all the membership, or if I'm being tapped because of my other position with the Council, a member of the Advisory Board. This position has few demands, just occasionally providing opinions on various Council business. I'll have to contact the director to find out more details, but I expect I'll provide something- it's the kind of thing I do from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home