Friday, March 02, 2007

One for Two


A really busy workweek has just passed, which was to culminate in my two 2D classes both starting their woodcut illustration projects. It was hectic getting all my supplementary materials together, but I got it all to the first stop on Thursday and went through the whole thing as expected. The students got shown a mess of prints in slide form (including some from the Outlaw Printmakers), in books, a few actual prints; and got a demo of cutting and a piece of wood to take home. In class they got as far as sketches on paper, some of which looked very promising. Packed it all up and got it to the classroom for Friday's class, but when I got there it turned out the building was without power. Not that I need electricity to do woodcuts. In fact, here's my I'm Ready for Y2K print, carved on the eve of the event into a log dragged from the woods behind my house with stone tools I made caveman style, just to see if I could still make woodcuts if the potential predicted Y2K problems had caused civilization to collapse. (as it turned out we didn't even lose cable, but it's good to know what can be done) But no power did mean I couldn't show my print slides, and the university wasn't going to let me hold a class anyway in a building without power. Some classes were relocated to other parts of campus, but good luck finding an empty room for a 6 hour studio class. I hung around for an hour or so to let the students (who made it through the rain storm/flooding and up two flights of stairs in a darkened building) know what was going on, which is that we'll just pick up with the same thing next Friday. At that point Security let it be known I had to leave the building, so I was home in time for lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home