Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Surviving A Cut In Belmar

On my way from my day job to my night job I swung by the Boatworks to find out the results of the jurying in the 3rd Annual BAC Juried Art Show. Artists could submit up to two pieces, but a maximum of one per person would be accepted. I dropped off two, so either way I had to come pick up something- I was just hoping I was picking up one instead of both. Installation of the show was in progress when I arrived and I quickly learned that I got a piece in, the one shown above. This is Employee, one of my largest ever prints and my major project from last year. It's 24"x36" and packed full of goodies.

The print is set in a reconfigured version of the industrial park where one of my part time jobs is. One thing I find interesting about this place is that it's the kind of neighborhood where few people come who are not employed there. Not much retail, or restaurants, or any of the things that draw consumers. Buildings are more functional than beautiful. The streets are never quite as busy as this one scene, but it's all stuff you'll find in those couple of blocks. The private joke here is that all the jobs shown are also all jobs (actual or related) I've done for money over the past couple of decades. I tend to identify myself as an artist, but the truth is that I'm a person who has had to work for a living and this isn't likely to change any time soon. This print is my tribute to that laboring side of my life.

The Juried Exhibition officially opens on Saturday, March 17th, with a reception from 3-5pm. Information about the BAC and the Boatworks is available on their website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home