Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Procrastination Ends

Tonight I finally took care of something that I had put for several weeks- ordering some much needed art supplies. The big thing was printing ink. I'm almost done with my last can. What's left is enough for a bunch of small/medium prints, but probably not enough for one printing of the tower block, and I'll want to pull at least two good prints to start.

Another supply I had dwindling was gummed paper tape. Nothing fancy, just brown kraft with adhesive on the back- wet it and stick. I first used it in my intaglio class, where we stretched damp prints right on the wall so that they'd dry flat. I've mostly used it since then to stretch woodcut prints prior to coloring. The watercolor causes the paper to swell and buckle, but with the prints taped down, they contract again to their original flat state. I also use it for box construction, where the drying tape bonds with the corrugated to make a solid structure. I used to get giant rolls of the stuff at Pearl, but the last few years they haven't stocked it, and I'm beginning to run out. I asked last time and was told that their supplier stopped making it. I wouldn't send to Seattle just for paper tape, but as long as I have a package coming, why not stick a few rolls in it.

I rounded out the order with a variety of watercolors. Mostly colors I didn't have already but think I could use. If all goes well I'll have the stuff in about a week. Which means I should be able to get the tower piece done in time for the March solo show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home