Monday, December 31, 2007

The Year That Was 2007

At the end of the year there is always the tendency to look back at all that has happened over the previous 365 days. The good thing about the blog is that it's all there for me or anyone else to go through. Took a spin back through the 227 postings that preceded this one. Here's the highlights-

Prints- Not as many as I would have liked. Finished 3 new saints, and spent a lot of time on the History of Art block. That last one will be finished early in 2008.

Shows- No solo shows, but had work here and there. Two group folios from the year before put me on walls in Wisconsin and Kansas City in 2007. My Employee print was exhibited in two juried shows in NJ and won prizes in both. (same print was also completely rejected from two other juried shows, so there's no predicting these things) A few other things here and there.

Publicity- Had my name in local papers a bunch of times. The biggest deal was the feature article on the cover of Entertainment section of the Sunday Asbury Park Press. It brought my work to the attention of a lot of new people.

Firsts- My involvement in the Belmar Arts Council brought me two new experiences. I was commissioned to design a t-shirt, and devoted much time from July through November to painting a large mural. Now I know what it's like to work on a very large scale. I essentially curated a print show up at PCNJ (recruiting friends and a few strangers), which was well received in multiple locations. And then there's starting a blog.

CAA- Didn't go the conference itself, but went up to New York for a couple of days, seeing a bunch of my friends from grad school, all for the first time since I left Carbondale, as well as the really cool Glitter and Doom show at the Met.

The Studio- Still a fun place to be. Molly started a monthly discussion group in the fall that has brought new artists to the space. A print studio is meant to be full of busy artists.

Next year- Have a bunch of shows lined up for 2008, including two solo shows. Looking forward to finally finishing the current big block and starting some new pieces, including a new color series. Maybe some stuff going on in the midwest. And as always, there will likely be things I can't even imagine right now. Come back here often to find out the details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home