Sunday, August 03, 2008

St Leonard of Vandoeuvre part 7



Back to the Studio this afternoon. I had a vague idea of how I wanted to color the new print. The lack of a clear vision for the print can be a problem, however, as it proved to be today. The first image shows where I started. I chose a blue-gray color for the recruitment building at first, which I had in my head was the color of the current one in Times Square. I didn't like it. I decided to change the building facade to a dark brown color (second photo), now thinking of the one I sometimes pass on the the way to the Studio. Better, but it seemed a bit heavy. After considering it for a while, I decided it might look better lighter. I overlaid it several times with a light tan color (the same one used in the background in the upper left). Of course, it mixed each time with the earlier dark brown color, so it never got truly light, but it gives me enough to see how it would work lighter. At the same time, I put the blue gray color over the brown in the lower right background, so the blue and brown ended up switching places between the beginning and the end.

I think the last state of this proof (last photo) is the best of the 3 color variations. (Just checked on the net for the actual Times Square building- none of my versions were exactly right, but the last version is closer than my starting point.) When I color the second proof, I'll start from this point for the buildings. Before then I need to resolve the interior space- the soldier's uniform, etc. I'm pretty sure it will come together next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home