Saturday, September 27, 2008

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 10

Spent a few more hours working on my new block today. I had brought it home with me last weekend, so I could spend some time with it, and those observations gave me a head start in the Studio today.

Did a little fixing of the thin vertical strip at the far right. Redrew the boardwalk boards to make it lay more like it should. A few adjustments to the figure and the ferris wheel, and improved the building seen between the two.

Underneath the shelves with the toys in both panels there had been an empty space, which had been blank wall. After considering it over the past several days, I decided to put something in those places, large cardboard boxes in space created under the shelves, some partially open revealing contents. On the shelves themselves I indicated some shading on the back walls, and showed some texture on the desmans, the odd critters with the long snouts and tails. (click the photo to see all these details) Part of this is the influence of Molly, who pointed out how my black and white pieces have more textures, an effect of having to achieve my gray tones optically. My first significant color series was the saint series, which made more use of marks in the color areas, giving them a more graphic quality than the more recent Ecclesiastes series, where sometimes the use of the watercolor is more painterly. I think the more graphic approach would fit better with this series.

The last major thing I have left to deal with is the relatively empty area around the wheel. It doesn't need to be as busy as the other areas, but I think it needs something. More likely surface decoration on the wall than more objects. Left the block there today, but I'll continue to think about it, and maybe seek some feedback from the crit group this coming week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home