Saturday, September 13, 2008

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 6

Back to the Studio for a while this afternoon to continue on the latest block. Today's effort was concentrated on the left side panel, filling in more of the stuffed animals. I put in the large, medium, and small prizes. On my trips to the boardwalk this summer I was making note of the typical prizes, and based mine on the ideas. Of course, most of the things I came up with aren't ones you're likely to see as actual prizes any time soon.

One common prize is stuffed versions of popular cartoon characters. I chose some of the Houndcats. Maybe not so popular now- only 13 half hour episodes were created and shown on Saturday morning tv for one season in the early 70's- but at that time it was my favorite show. Thirty-five years later I had absolutely no memories of the show itself, just a board game missing everything but the board. But thanks to the internet I found some video clips, used them as a source. Used two of the characters, Stutz and Ding Dong, who can be found here in jumbo, large, and small sizes.

Boardwalk prizes often reflect popular culture, so I decided to make something celebrity related. Since I normally try to avoid all "news" about celebrities, I needed to do a little research. Watched a tabloid style show, which included a piece about Paris Hilton buying art supplies (a canvas and other stuff) at an art store that was not specifically named, but the bags were clearly from Pearl. So I guess she and I have that in common. But in the end I settled on Amy Winehouse, mostly because her distinctive hairstyle makes her easy to caricature. She's a large prize.

Stuffed animals are always popular. I turned to my 20 volume wildlife encyclopedia, paging through about half of them, and selected a variety of critters, a mix of things both typical and unusual. They'll all be cute when I'm done with them. I also drew some paramecia, borrowed from Molly, who has put them to use in some of her recent projects. Various animals can be found in all 4 sizes.

It certainly looks different with all those shelves filled in. Now that gap between the bottom shelf and the game board in front really stands out. Don't know yet whether I like that or not. Meanwhile, next time I'll put more toys on the other shelves to the right, and take care of more details all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home