Saturday, October 25, 2008

Journey Along the Coast





In the afternoon I took a ride up to the Studio, going by way of Ocean Avenue in Belmar, so that I could stop by D'Jais to check on preparation for the evening's big BAC event. The ocean was very rough today, driven by the approaching storm. I took a few photos for possible future reference. I continued up to Ocean Grove, and put in some time continuing my box construction, this time tracing and cutting out a second exterior box for shipping Ecclesiastes prints, then assembling the first.
Despite the weather I took some time to walk a little further up the coast (about 3 blocks) to Asbury Park, to check out an artists reception on Cookman at The Paint Place. Yesterday I had been looking through the Asbury Park Press arts news and saw an image of a sheep. I thought to myself that had to be a painting from Betsey Regan, and my eyes went down to read the caption and confirmed it. I've known Betsey for about 10 years, going back to when we were both regulars at the Art Alliance co-op gallery in Red Bank, and I believe we've also shown together in group exhibitions at the Monmouth Museum and at the old City Without Walls in Newark. I haven't shown in any of those places in several years, and as a result hadn't seen her since then, and decided to go see the show and say hello. She remembered me, we had a brief chat (artists at their own receptions have many people to talk to), and talked about a future studio visit. The name of the other artist wasn't familiar, but when I saw her I realized I knew her. In fact, I had met her in the very same gallery over the summer, when she was at a reception for her friend Jill Kerwick. At the time she had expressed an interest in coming with Jill to the critique group, but circumstances haven't allowed it yet. Now I know what to expect if she does come- constructions and collages like the one seen above her name. Jill is also friends with Betsey, and has told her about the critique group, so maybe she'll join us sometime as well.
Although I said I wasn't going to post any more about my box building, I had to include the photo of the two box exteriors (one folded, one open) in the hallway. Something in the composition appeals to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home