Sunday, October 05, 2008

More Fun With Cardboard



Back to the Studio for a short visit this morning, to start another box. This one is to ship some prints from the Ecclesiastes series. When I started the series several years ago, I stored and carried the first dozen or so in a cardboard orange crate. When I outgrew that, but needed to safely store more, I made a custom box that held around 10 framed pieces. This single cardboard box with a lid is the equivalent of one of my inner boxes, and with no pressing need, I had never made the outer shipping shell. That has changed. But for today, another inner box. I used the first one to get the needed measurements, and plugged those numbers into the flat box pattern I designed yesterday. Laid it out, cut, and scored it. (top photo) Next was assembly, using wood glue (which is strong and grabs fast) and clamps. (middle) Last was putting paper tape on every joined and scored seam in the cardboard, to strengthen the seams and tighten it up. (last photo) Yesterday it took about 2.5 hours to get that far, but today less than an hour, thanks to being able to use a predetermined pattern. That left me enough time to do my weekly food shopping and still be home in time for the start of the Giants game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home