Sunday, December 14, 2008

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 23


As I was driving up Route 71, I noticed a lot of construction equipment piled up in the back lot behind our Studio building. And did I notice a little more daylight? After parking in the main front lot and bringing my stuff inside, I went out the back door to get a better look. Sure enough, big changes back there. Behind the original 19th century building is a second more modern building almost as large, an annex constructed decades later. The two buildings had been connected by an enclosed passage. The annex was never restored and ever since I've been there, the intention is to eventually demolish it to make way for something else. Maybe today was the first step. The top photo is a montage that leaves out the alley that now goes through between the buildings (original on left, annex on right), but it does show the two doorways that had once been connected, the triangular piece over each door matching the old passageway roofline.
Since it was a relatively nice day, I decided to use a piece of my time there to walk to Asbury and check out a new gallery that I had read about last week. Called the Mattison Gallery, it's in a nice old corner building (a former bank), with a ecclectic debut show of assorted painting, drawing, and sculpture. (And giclees, but they don't count as real art.) Since there were no other visitors during most of my time there, I had the opportunity to chat with the owner a bit. Somewhere down the line I may show him some stuff.
However, most of my time was spent in the Studio itself. I printed a very late student block, then settled into my own. Still hadn't decided exactly what to do with the signs immediatley above the boy, so I dealt with everything else. I finished cutting out the EZ WIN letters, then the two large stuffed animals to the left. Then I moved on to the narrow vertical strip on the far right of the block. This includes pieces of a ferris wheel, a sign, a building, a boardwalk pedestrian, and the boardwalk itself. The cutting was going well, so I just kept going until it was all done. Results can be seen in the second photo. Over the next few days I need to come up with a plan for those remaining signs so I can finish this thing up next time I'm there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home