Sunday, March 15, 2009

Boardwalk Tattoo part 6


Put in a little time in the Studio this afternoon. The reason was to work on the current tattoo block. I received some suggestions at the last crit group and have spent some time since thinking about which, if any, I'd want to apply to what I was doing. One that I considered exploring was changing the attire of the customer to something more typical of beach wear, such as a two piece bathing suit, or a bikini top and cut-offs. My first attempts at the top (on separate paper) got nowhere- just couldn't get it to look right. Put that aside for now.

A few days ago I had traced the shape of the empty spaces in the center of the diptych. I reproduced that in a sketchbook and played around with it today. This was another suggestion, looking past the main figures to the interior of a shop and the light beyond it, with maybe some back-lit silhoutted figures in between. What I've got so far is something along those lines. In the narrow space between the artist and the border, a sliver of wall with tattoo flash (or at least what will represent that, since they'll be too small to make out.) In the main space, a couple (him looking up at the wall, her kind of hanging on him), both wearing bathing suits, and a third character, kind of standing around with an ice cream cone. They will be simplified, but not silhouettes. Beyond those figures, I have the boards and rails of a boardwalk, with empty sky beyond. Some small figures will be added there, and those will likely be silhouettes. Even if I can't resolve the bikini top, the interior section should be enough to give it the boardwalk link.

Another change that needs to be made is to the artist's second hand (not holding the needle). Right now the scale seems off and what can be seen of the hand is split between panels, and we all agreed the other night that it doesn't work. My plan is to change the angle of the arm so that his second hand rests further up on her back. I'll deal with that in a few days. After that, maybe some of what I was exploring today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home