Monday, March 02, 2009

Boardwalk Tattoo part 3

Good thing I brought that block home from the Studio. Since that snowstorm has kept me indoors for the past couple of days, I've been able to advance the drawing a little further. More adjustments to the figures. They're almost done.

On the left side I put in a dragon. Dragon legends appear in the history of most corners of the world, but in no place are they more important than in China and Japan, and the dragon tattoo is a tradition going back to the time of the Floating World. The dragon tattoos would be large, covering broad parts of the body, their twisting forms designed to flow over the wearer's body, moving with the muscles. I based mine on typical dragon tattoos I found in books (some supplied by my tattoo artist contact), contorting it to fit the space around and above the flowers. I didn't add all the scales yet, but there's enough there to get the idea.

On the right side, I erased the chair, quickly sketched in a few more of the mandalas, and decided it was way better. I fixed them up a little for now, but they will need to be redone eventually. In the space next to them I roughed in a design based on one of Ryan's tattoos, one of his more mystical pieces. He didn't give me a specific meaning behind it, saying he just combines a lot of different traditions of mysticism, eastern and western. It will be modified considerably before I'm done, but I expect it will stay there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home