Saturday, February 21, 2009

More wood for everyone


Don't know what it is lately, but it seems like it's getting harder to get a nice flat piece of wood. Pretty much everything I see is a bit warped. (Molly is even dealing with it with some of the 3/4" wood she uses for her tabletops) A few weeks back I cut a piece off a board to be the next boardwalk print, and noticed a significant amount of curving across the surface. Might still be usable (the last boardwalk block was also warped, but in the other direction- concave instead of convex), but I'm trying to press it flatter. Meanwhile, I decided to see if I could find a better piece of wood now. Stopped off and bought what looks to be a suitable piece on my way to the Studio today. I'm not ready to deal with that yet, so for now it sits on my table. What I did today was cut up the pieces I bought last week for my classes. As you can see from the top photo, each has some warping across the whole sheet, but this isn't as problematic. Cut to about 8"x6", each small panel is pretty close to flat. Cut out 36 total pieces, gave the rough edges a quick once over with coarse sandpaper to remove the splinters, and took half home with me for one of my classes this coming week. The other half will be needed in a different class a few weeks down the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home