Thursday, March 05, 2009

Boardwalk Tattoo part 4






The block has remained in my house, and over the past couple of days I continued to work on the drawing at home. The top photo shows the current state of the whole block. Other than filling in the rest of the scales on the dragon, the left side was left alone. The rest of the photos show the changes on the right. After redrawing all the mandala shapes (making them more regular and properly aligned), I put in a version of the hand emerging from the fish mouth (2nd photo). After considering this overnight, I decided that the curled body, with the tail squeezed in among the mandalas, left the corner too crowded and confusing. I changed it by making the fish a little larger (more accurate to the original) and straightening out the body. I like this better, so this stays. In the upper right corner I put in the figure of the island girl (Hawaiian I'll say) with the ukelele. This one is also based on one of Ryan's tattoos. I put it in because it's a traditional tattoo subject, it references the south seas history of tattoos, and my own long standing interest in things set in such locations (Gilligan's Island, Lost, Joe Versus the Volcano, etc). I also devoted some time to working on the tattoo artist, redrawing the electric needle and putting in indications of the tattoos on his arms. I think the two figures are now pretty much done. Molly tells me that the building where the Studio is has been plowed clear, so next time I work on this will be up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home