Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Arcade Research

It looks like the next print in the boardwalk series will focus on arcades. The reason I'm thinking of doing this one next is that there is a group show coming up in August, and this print would fit well with the theme of that show. Whether or not I can get it done in 2 months is another story (the others took 3 to 4 months each, but I had more going on at those times). If it's going to happen, I need to start as soon as possible. I had some on site arcade sketches going back to last year, and had done some internet research in recent weeks, but I knew I needed more information. I had the day off from work, so I took some trips. In the early afternoon I took a walk to the beach in my hometown, ending up at an arcade/pizza place. Had a slice, then went into the arcade to take some photos and do some sketching. (skee ball will definitely be part of the image) Thought I could use more, so when I got home I got into the car and drove to Point Pleasant, where the boardwalk is home to several arcades. (this time of year, while kids are still in school, free street parking is still widely available) Found a few more things to sketch. What strikes me about all the places is that the emphasis is more on winning prizes (crane games or things like skee ball that pay redemption tickets) with very little general amusement, games for their own sake like pinball or traditional video games. The arcades of my youth also had the prize games, but I remember a lot more of the amusement games. I expect to have an even mix in my print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home