Monday, September 28, 2009

Boardwalk Food part 10

Had a long drawing session in the Studio this afternoon, making a lot of progress on the latest block. The first thing I did was make a few changes with the family group I drew last time. Some minor changes to the guy holding the sandwiches, but a major change to the kid. I redrew the character so that now he faces more forward, which is how he appeared in the earliest paper sketches. He needs more work, but based on what I see here, he will remain in this position. His mother's arm moves from his collar to resting on his shoulder. I changed the angle of the arm of the man behind him (attacked by gull), so that the cup of fries he's holding is more visible. The next task was to finish the foreground. I put in the various condiment containers on the counter, then all the food on the grill side of the counter. (from left to right- tomato sauce, rolls, sausage, grilled onions and peppers) The changes can be seen in the above photo.

Molly arrived to work on some silk screening, and I continued drawing. I fixed a few things in the back of the pizzeria- what's visible through the rear window and some things behind the counter. Then I moved on to some of the details- the boards of the boardwalk, the Tillie design on the cotton candy girl's t-shirt, and I started roughing in some of the signs found on the back wall businesses. Molly liked the changes to the drawing since the last time she had seen it (the September critique), noting that the images in the series seem to be getting a bit more wild with each new print in the series. She particularly liked the guy attacked by the gull and suggested that I should have more unusual characters. This one is full, but there will be in future prints. Below is the whole block as it exists right now. I should have the drawing done in time for the October critique.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lasky said...

Happy Birthday, Paul!

I'm enjoying these prints in progress. I think they're some of your very best.

-David

10:26 AM  
Blogger arrabbiata said...

Thanks, Dave, for the birthday wishes and for the compliment. This boardwalk series may not be as philosophically deep as some I've done, but it's generating some really cool prints.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home