Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Adjunct Exhibition Coming Soon

Today I dropped off the above piece at Kean University as my contribution to the Adjunct Faculty Exhibition. It is a hand colored woodcut called A History of Art, completed early last year. The story behind the print can be found here, and anyone with too much time on their hands can see the whole process from start to finish in the blog archives from June 2007 to February 2008.

This is the third show for the school's art adjuncts, with 30 of us participating. I was responsible for getting the series off the ground in 2005 (while a full time faculty show was up I asked the department chair if adjuncts ever had such shows and was immediately put in charge of organizing one) and I also co-chaired the second one a year later. (the absence of one since then is mostly due to a gallery remodelling that kept it empty for more than a year) When another adjunct faculty volunteered to take charge of this one I was happy to hand off the responsibility and take more of an advisory role. Most of the work hasn't arrived yet, but media represented so far include printmaking, painting (oil, watercolor, encaustic), drawing, photography, sculpture, video, and fibers. Today I got to watch several faculty attempt to hang a log with an embedded chain from a ceiling hook in the gallery, but before I left they had broken a block and tackle in the effort. (really wish I had my camera with me for that)

The exhibition opens with a reception on Tuesday, September 15, from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. The show is at the James Howe Gallery in the Vaughn Eames building on Kean's campus in Union, NJ. The show remains on display through October 23, 2009 during gallery hours. If I can find out what those gallery hours will be, I'll note them here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home