Monday, August 31, 2009

Big Buyout

The word is out that Marvel Entertainment, which includes the Marvel Comics Group and all their thousands of heroes and villains, is to be acquired by Disney, at a cost of 4 billion dollars. That's a lot of money, but the assumption is that Disney will make plenty more back in the long term, between licensing and movies. The bigger concern at the moment is from comic book fans, many fearing that Disney will impose "family values" on some of the more edgy characters and storylines. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. I'm not too worked up about it myself, as I don't think Marvel has put out anything worth buying in well over a decade, so I don't see there being anything to ruin. But once upon a time, there were a lot of interesting comics out there. Artwork like the early 70's Trimpe/Severin panels above was one of the things that first got me interested in art.
By the way, if anyone out there has 4 billion bucks to spend, I have plenty of stuff for sale around the Studio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home