Tuesday, January 12, 2010

For Love Not Money part 3


As I said yesterday, I was leaning toward using an image based on the old Asbury Park carousel building as the basis for my postcard project. As it's still way too cold to go wandering around Asbury's boardwalk doing sketches, I decided to use one of the many photos I had taken of the building as my source. And if I didn't have any of my own (such as the one above), I could have found several thousand on the internet.

So, sitting in my nice warm house this morning, I did the above sketch, to familiarize myself with the main architectural structures and proportions of the building. I brought this sketch to the Studio, where my next step was to build myself a little cardboard model of the building. I used this to help work out the exaggerated perspective that I had in mind.

Next, I laid out a box of the exact dimensions of the final card and did a sketch of my version of the building, similar to one of yesterday's sketches. The biggest change I made from the actual building was to cut down its width to fit the proportions of the card. That meant reducing the number of arched doorways from 7 to 5, but allowing them to be bigger. Works out better for the idea of the image, even if it's not completely accurate to the original. (if you prefer more accurate depictions of the carousel building, you'll have no trouble finding them in galleries all over the shore area) I still need to play around with the background, which will likely be some large amusement park rides as planned. But that can wait for tomorrow.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home