Friday, January 01, 2010

Boardwalk Mini Golf part 4


I like to get working on something early in the new year, get things off to a good start. I was mostly at home today, and my current boardwalk block is still there, having come home with me a few weeks ago. That means I've had a lot of time to look at it and think about what needs to be done. The top photo shows what the whole block looked like following the last time I worked on it. The thing that I felt needed addressing most was the golf hole in the middle, the L shaped one. The plan for this one is to have a large figure sculpture straddling the corner of the L, requiring players to hit the ball through the legs, and bounce at a right angle toward the hole. In my original rough sketch I had this figure more or less in the center of diptych, so it would be split between the two halves. In that rough sketch I just had a single pencil line stand for the break between panels. The problem is that when I moved over to my formatted block, that line was now a 3/4" inch stripe right up the middle of the figure, obscuring most of it and just leaving some unexplained limbs extending into each half. Plus it puts a possible focal point right in the center, which makes for a dull composition.

So after weeks of thinking about this, I came up with a new plan which started today, sketching in between favorite episodes in the traditional New Year's Twilight Zone marathon. I removed the rectangular section between the L and the windmill hole, extended the windmill green out a little, and moved the left side of the L to the left, so that both of the squarish foot bases are in the same panel. The net result is the loss of one golf hole, but the spacing between the holes is now more practical. And it moves that big figure off center (left on the panel, right on the eventual print). I made a few adjustments to other holes, though the outlines of all may change as I continue to fix perspective and spacing issues. I added one significant item, the looping obstacle in the center of the left panel, just beyond the windmill.


I'm pretty sure that I will be changing the platform structure that leads into the bluefish mouth. It occupies a lot of space in an uninteresting way and it's not easy to join it to the perspective of the rest of the scene. I want to think about it for a while, but it's probably going to be shortened and made into a simple platform without all the covering panels. The only other big thing is coming up with a specific idea for the large figure on the L shaped hole. Some things being considered- a generic cartoony animal, a figure based on an obscure old comic book/cartoon character, a cheap knock off of a well known cartoon character, something that is supposed to be funny but is unintentionally scary/creepy, or some combination of the above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home