Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Year That Was 2009

Time to sum up another year. Like most, this one had a mix of good and bad, and plenty of art related activity. You can get every detail by going over the past 12 months worth of blog posts, or just read the highlights below.

Prints- Completed the first four in my Floating World series during 2009. Since each is a diptych, I guess technically that means I completed 8 prints. The 5th boardwalk print is in the block sketch stage and should accelerate once we get past all the holidays.

Shows- No solo shows this year (after 2 in 2008), but I had work in a lot of group shows. By my count a total of 27 pieces in 10 shows. Those can be broken down into 3 open shows, 2 juried shows, 3 curated shows, 1 invitational show and 1 awarded show. The biggest of these was the printmaking exhibition at the Arts Guild of Rahway, where I had 9 pieces chosen by the curator, more than from any of the other nine artists.

Publicity- Just minor stuff. Two group shows I was in chose to put my work on the announcement postcard (Ocean County Artists Guild and the Printmaking Council of New Jersey), and my contribution to the adjunct exhibition at Kean was featured in a school newspaper article about the show.

Awards- Nothing this year.

Miscellaneous- Taught my first woodcut workshop at PCNJ in a few years. It was successful enough that I expect to do more in the future. I was invited to participate in a large scale international collaborative printmaking project that will be completed early in 2010.

The Studio- Nothing really new there, but the Critique Group is still doing well, with new people joining all the time. And it's still a great place to make art.

Next Year- Continuing the Floating World series, maybe a long in planning large figure woodcut, and I wouldn't be surprised if some interesting ideas for future works emerge over the next 12 months. A lack of major exhibitions in 2010 means I need to work on getting some shows on my schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home