Saturday, January 16, 2010

For Love Not Money part 4


My part of this project has to be in the mail in two weeks, which means that I have to get going on this block. I decided to use birch, which costs a little more than my usual lauan, but it will allow some finer detail and it will be easier to print the flat color shapes off it. I'm going to use a peg registration system, a variation of something I first worked with back in Carbondale. Today I started by cutting a piece of wood large enough for two pieces of the whole print. On a center line dividing the two halves I marked and drilled two quarter inch holes. These holes match the spacing of a two-hole paper punch. Along with some short dowel pieces, this will be my registration device.

The next step was to take a photocopy of the sketch I made earlier in the week and cover the back with graphite. This was accomplished by scribbling with a soft pencil. This sheet was taped face up onto the board, as seen above.

The next step was to use a harder pencil to trace all the lines of the original drawing, pressing firmly with my pencil. After this was finished, I lifted the sheet to find that my homemade carbon paper had worked and a faint but readable version of my building sketch (see above) was now on the board.

Next, I used a pencil to redraw over the transferred image, making some fixes along the way. The above photo shows the process about halfway done.


With the building part done, I could turn my attention to the other parts of the composition. I had been using photocopies of Tuesday's sketch to work on some other ideas, some of which are seen in the above image. To be able to include water in the scene I relocated the building from the land side of the boardwalk to an amusement pier (common enough on boardwalks in New Jersey and elsewhere) extending into the ocean. I don't know if the "Palace of Fun" will make it to the final version, but for now it's on the circular walk around the building. The plan also calls for a ferris wheel in the background. I spent considerable time this afternoon trying to draw one (based on sketches from photos), but so far the perspective has been off. What you see above is the best version so far, but it will be redrawn. The upper part of the wheel is just for working out the shape and proportion of the whole wheel and won't be part of the final card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home