Saturday, May 22, 2010

Outlaw on the Airwaves


Not much on tv in the early afternoon before my trip to the Studio, so I end up putting on a cable station showing a Star Wars marathon. I wasn't paying much attention during a commercial break, yet something caught my eye. I couldn't be sure, but I thought I saw one of my fellow Outlaw Printmakers- Sean Star Wars. (how appropriate during a showing of Episode IV) It wasn't so much the guy on screen talking, but I got a sense that the background was a bunch of woodcuts in Sean's trademark style. And the commercial was for Mountain Dew, a product that Sean's love for is well known. (see the example above, from one of the many exchange portfolios we've both been part of) I watched through one more commercial break, didn't see it, so went up to the Studio to get some work done.

I would not be able to watch tv all night waiting for the commercial, but this being the age of the internet, I figured that it should be somewhere out there on the web. Quickly found it on the main Mountain Dew website. As part of a promotion to pick a new flavor, people were encouraged to submit their own videos. I'm a little surprised that I picked up on this in the first place. His hair was much shorter than I've ever seen it (I wouldn't have recognized him if I hadn't known it was him), and he was only on screen long enough to say one line, about one second. But those were definitely Sean Star Wars woodcuts behind him. After that I stopped by Sean's website where I found a page with the full story.

Many of us in the Outlaws have gotten plenty of press coverage, and can find stuff about us all over the internet, but so far as I know, this is the first time one of us has been seen with their art on national (cable) television. I figure that's worth a blog post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home