Thursday, February 24, 2011

Boardwalk Showers part 13


With a few parts of the block drawing unresolved, I brought it home from the Studio earlier this week with the intention of finishing those things before resuming cutting. As is often the case, other activities filled those days and I didn't get to the sketching. I did give it a bit of thought however, so when I brought the block back to the Studio today to get in a few hours cutting, I had a plan for the right panel. I have long planned a sign on the wall by the lockers, rules or something like that. In fact, early versions had the word "RULES" at the top, and underneath would have been horizontal rows of marks standing for small text. By last week I had decided to eliminate the heading and maybe make the text of the rules larger, and then changed the list of rules to a single statement instead- the classic not responsible for lost/stolen items message. I decided that I liked the idea of filling the remaining space with a logo, as in representing the town or beach where this mythical bath house is located. So I got on the internet and looked up some of the local beach towns, and found some simple logos, mostly based on waves and boats. Didn't want to use one directly, as I don't want to identify my scene with a specific town, and I don't want to just copy someone else's design. Then I came up with an easy way to get around all this- steal from myself. A few years back I designed a t-shirt for the Belmar Arts Council with a water/beach theme. I decided that a simplified version of that (fewer boats, add ferris wheel, and eliminate the word BELMAR at the top) will be fine. So this afternoon I drew that in, along with the text of the sign. (see above)

With that settled I picked up my knives. I finished cutting the tile wall on which the sign is hung and parts of the floor in front of the lockers. Had to end things at that point in order to take care of an errand before an office closed. Below shows where I stopped today.


Brought the block home one more time, should I want to deal with those showering figures in the upper left panel before I get back to work on the cutting this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home