Sunday, July 03, 2011

Smoking Figure part 18

With rain falling off an on all day, I was relieved of any yard work responsibilities and free to work on some art. In the afternoon I first stopped by the Boatworks to see if anything was going on with the mud mural project...and there was. So I put in an hour or so, molding mud mix to create 3 dimensional letters and working out plans for additional visual elements to be added later. (photos will be posted when it's all done) The sun even came out for a while, but the canopy over the structure would have protected us from the weather if it had been an issue.
From there up to the Studio to get back to the smoker block. Some minor changes today in the window area- slight proportional adjustments to some letters, and penciling in a few compositional lines that will represent shapes seen through the window. It will do for now. More obvious in the photo is that I got out the brush and ink and started filling in some things to get a sense of the value proportions. I put in the black border all around, the solid black window frame, and the cornerstone lettering. For the bricks I just put in some random washes of varying strengths. I don't know that these will be exactly the same in the final version, but I do expect that to have different levels of value scattered throughout the brick wall. Next time I'll maybe try inking the window (most of the area around the letters will be various grays or black) and see if it works as expected. If so, I'm close to beginning the cutting of the block.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home