Monday, June 20, 2011

Smoking Figure part 14

I pulled into the parking lot at the Studio at the same time as Molly, so we had a rare day of working side by side. While she was screening t-shirts, I went back to work on my smoking block. Not the figure this time, but the background. Before going to Ocean Grove I had made a brief stop on my local Main Street to look at that building one more time and do a few more sketches. My latest thinking was to forget the idea of having a section of brick above a section of marble, but still keep some architectural elements from my source. So I started by drawing in layers of standard brick everywhere that the window wasn't. They will likely be cut to have a dark tone of some kind with white mortar between them. The window remains in the upper left, but it is now a little wider and doesn't come down as far. Around the window will be a wide frame of light stone/concrete and an inner dark frame, which in the above photo is shown adjacent to the top of her head and the shoulder on the left. (this will all be a lot easier to see after it's inked) The window will also be mostly black, but I may try to indicate some building interior through it, or reflections on it, or some combination. For now, a little of the text remains (the large "BR" letters), but I will be redrawing those letters and others in a different style and arrangement. I still plan to put in an additional element with text, either a bronze plaque or bringing back a version of the light colored cornerstone that had been in the lower right. (Molly favors the latter) I'll think about it a little bit and try something later in the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home