Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The End...or The Beginning?


Tonight was the fourth and last scheduled meeting of the latest round of woodcut classes at the Belmar Arts Council.  All four participants were there before 7 pm, which allowed me to take a few minutes to discuss some business and offer a few bits of general advice.  After that they jumped into action.  This is a very motivated group.  They're making their own bench hooks, buying their own tools, finding their own wood.  Everyone had new blocks since last week and was ready to print.


 I handed out supplies and gave some advice here and there, but mostly I just stayed out of their way.


I decided to dig up my old painting palette, shown in the lower right of the above photo, to provide more inking opportunities in our limited time.  We needed it, as we had three people simultaneously inking and/or printing most of the time.    Some of the prints tonight were rough first proofs of new blocks, and those blocks are expected to be recut before long.  Below are two finished pieces from today's session- Stan's three color print with the black added, and a better proof of one of Jill's prints from last week.



All four member of this class tell me they'd like to continue and take another round of classes.  There's plenty more to be learned, so I'll discuss this with the appropriate people at the BAC.  And I have heard from others who tell me they want to start learning woodcut.  I may need to buy a lot more tools and supplies real soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home