Sunday, October 13, 2013

Train Station Mural Update



I've been very busy over the past month or so between the table project and teaching and moving, and haven't had a chance to provide an update regarding the train station mural.  My last report was around the time of the public showing of the original designs.  I heard that a mural committee meeting occurred maybe a week after that, and there may have been more.   A few weeks ago I asked if anything had been decided.  I was told that I would eventually receive an official letter, but that my design was not chosen.  The winner was a professional muralist from Philadelphia (the name was mentioned, but I have forgotten it and it doesn't seem to have been officially announced anywhere yet).  So no prize money, but it does spare me from a lot of work that I really don't have time for at the moment.

The chosen designer is planning to do the mural in a way that we've seen more and more of lately, painting it on a fabric suitable for outdoors, and then adhering it to the wall, sort of like wallpaper.  That will have advantages in this case, as the weather will soon be too cold for outdoor painting, and a busy train station platform might prove to be a tricky place to work.  Plus, that grooved plywood wall is not in good shape.  So the new plan is to get new regular half inch plywood, prime it on both sides, then cut it to shape and fit it to the train station exterior.  And we got that plan started today.  A truckload of plywood was brought to the Boatworks, put up on tables and saw horses, and primed with rollers.  I went there to get blog photos, but I also put the camera down and put in time carrying wood and rolling out the primer.  How much I end up helping with the mural itself remains to be seen.  As I said, I'm incredibly busy these days, and I have much less incentive since they didn't choose my design.  We'll see.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home