Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Mural Continues part 21


The unusual numbering in the title of this post is due to this being essentially a continuation of a series last seen on this blog in 2007.  Way back then the Belmar Arts Council was starting on what would become the first of many murals around town and I was one of the main painters on that project.  And since there wasn't yet a BelmarArts blog, I covered the whole thing here, from July to December of that year.

Anyway, it was decided recently that it was time to spruce up this seven year old mural, not really damaged, but definitely faded in 7 years of unprotected sun exposure.  This actually began last week, but I couldn't be there for that.  Since I had other business there at the Boatworks today, I decided to get there early and help out with one of my old projects.  Above and below are some things other volunteers were working on before I joined the effort.




We're not creating anything new with this mural update, just repainting to make the colors stand out a little better.  Today I was asked to take on a large squid on the left end of the underwater part of the mural.  Not a piece I worked on seven years ago.  Those original paints are long gone now, so we have just a bunch of paint colors and are going to try to match what was on the wall as best we can.  Above is shown what the squid looked like around noon, and below about an hour later.  Although every square inch of the creature was repainted, I was matching colors as closely as possible, so the differences are few.  Comparing both, the most noticeable change is to the eye.


There is a whole lot of mural not retouched yet, so depending on how things work out with my schedule, there may be other updates in this space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home