Friday, June 10, 2016

Still More Truckin'


My calendar tells me that I will be busy for a lot of days over the next week.  Today would be an exception, so I set up today as a day to continue the sink project.


Last session I had made the horizontal frame and made legs to go in the corners, but left assembly for the next time.  That time was today.   As a general rule I prefer to build tables on top of other tables, or at about waist height.  The first table I built (my work table) was on top of a desk that had been left in the Studio.  The other two Studio work tables were put together on top of my work table.  Working on Molly's Table Talk project, I moved two large plastic folding tables into the studio space and did most of the work on top of those.  Much better than crawling around on the floor.  I knew that Mary had a folding table as her miter saw had been set up on it on her porch when we did that a few weeks ago, so I asked to borrow it and carried it up stairs to the studio space.  Took my legs from last week, positioned them, and measured the space between them on each end, so I could cut a horizontal piece to stabilize them.  Used a C-clamp to secure one to the inner corner of the frame and drilled a 1/4 inch hole for the carriage bolt.  One little problem- I had miscalculated the size and the bolts I had bought were about an inch too short.  Only solution was to go buy more.

Mary knew that there was a suitable hardware store close by, just a few blocks away, across from the train station.  If it was just me I would have walked, but she came along to look for other stuff and so she drove us.  Walked in the door, and a soon as my eye adjusted to the low light, I spotted the wall of hardware.  Grabbed a dozen of the correct size bolts and matching nuts, met Mary at the register (buying something for herself), and in a few minutes we were back at her house.  One at a time I clamped a leg to each corner, verified the levels, and then drilled a hole on each side.  With the legs loosely in place, I measured and cut the horizontal stabilizer, attached by long wood screws though the legs and into each end.  I tightened all the bolts, organized my stuff, and flipped it off the table and onto its four legs.



So far so good.  We moved it into the corner it will eventually occupy, and stuck all the rest of the supplies in the sink on top to get them out of the way.  Mary was impressed so far, both with how sturdy it seems and all my cool tools.  Two more main steps.  I'm going to add angled supports connecting each leg to the frame, and then use 1" thick boards to build the frame that the basin will sit inside.  Those items will have to wait another week or so.  Meanwhile, her space is starting to come together more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home